Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sunday Morning

Just a quick update from the Peak household. Sohpie Nuan is not feeling well at all. Her runny nose is now turning into a cough. Her drainage is still clear though, thank goodness. She ran a low grade fever last night. We went to bed at 9:30 which is much better than midnight. We are all a little messed up with the time difference. She woke up every 30 minutes starting around 3am tossing and turning in her sleep, coughing and not being able to get settled. She is on the floor in my room because her GeGe was watching the Auburn game at a friend's house so she had not choice but to stay in here with me. Poor Justin, I think that I am going to have to send him away for a few days so she won't be so dependent on him. She is very attached to him still and we really need for her to let go of this and start depending on the rest of us to meet her needs, especially me!!!

The progress is going to be very slow but I know that it will come. God did not bring this little angel into our lives without a reason. She needs us and we need her!!!

Please know that I am so ready to show her off to everyone but she is very timid and does not like new people to get too close to her. She does great if you stay your distance from her. She will come out of this with time once she realizes that we are here to stay and that she can trust that we are not going to hand her over to the next person. She has really had a hard time with letting go of her old life. They took excellent care of her at Prince of Peace and even though having a Mommy, Daddy and Brothers is a much better life for her, POP is all the life that she has ever had. She does not understand the blessings that are about to come her way. She is 3 and scared of what might happen next. Thank you all for understanding. Just love her from a distance until she can feel comfortable with all the changes that are going on in her little life. She is so precious and it breaks my heart when I see the sadness and fear in her eyes. I said this was going to be quick didn''t I....oh well!! Love to you all!!!!!

6 comments:

Tonja said...

Thanks for the update, my friend. I am sorry she is feeling bad. And we are right here in the middle of allergy country, too. I agree with keeping new folks at a distance. She will be ready to welcome this big new world...on her own time. We'll wait. Take care of you!

Deandra said...

Sherri, what a sweet post you had and you said it all in a nut shell. We are all in agreement with you. This new sweet angel has so much to take in. I am sure she gets easily frustrated because no one is able to understand what she is saying. I know how I would feel if no one understood a word I said and couldn't understand what I was saying or wanting. I was told she would learn english very quickly, especially the way you are already saying words to her for each thing you give her. 6 months and she will be speaking english non-stop.Hang in there and let her take as much time as she needs.

Amber Brockett said...

So glad you are getting a little settled! We cant wait to meet our new little friend!! Hope you have a good week!!

Krisan said...

Please, please, please don't get discouraged with all of this going on with Sophie. You are absolutely correct God brought her in your lives for a purpose , and you for her's. She will come around soon, I know it don't feel like it right now. It's seems everybody is in agreement on giving her some space. Just let it happen on her time. The last thing we want is for her to feel overwhemled. I will see you Tomorrow. Hope you all feel better very soon. Missed you today at church, but I completly understand why. Love ya, girl.

Melanie said...

Hang in there! Take it from a mother of a three year old-if you were to take Jonathan away right now it would probably be far worse than what you are experiencing with Sophie. Three year olds are set in their ways all ready and are used to their comfort zones. She will continue to warm up to everyone and it will help as she learns more of our language. Justin will be returning to school and she will have to depend on you for her needs. Before long she will be "mommy's best friend" as my Makayla says. I will continue to pray for this huge transition. God supplies for ALL of our needs!

Nicole said...

I'm sure everyone understands she needs time to trust her new life. It may sound like a cliche, but time really does heal all wounds... We'll be here when she's ready. I'll be praying with you and for you all.