Friday, September 5, 2008

Last day in Tianjin



This was our last full day in Tianjin. Sophie Nuan has changed her mind about who can be in her space...today it was Daddy or "BaBa" in Chinese!!!! Justin got a break from the stroller today and only Daddy could push the stroller. Mama is still at the bottom of the food chain!!!! She spent less time in the stroller and made a lot of movement around the room today being very silly most of the time. She has figured out that it doesn't take much to get us to laugh. She has shut down only a few times today. She will actually bring me things when Daddy tells her to most of the time but not always. She walked across the entire room today to bring me something. I was thrilled. She also let me show her pictures of herself on the computer. She would not let me feed her breakfast this morning but we all just ignored her until she finally picked up the food I laid down in front of her and then she let me feed her some "congee" soup with rice. We spent most of the day in the room playing. She did not want to leave the room today and did not take a nap. We ate Chinese food again tonight. It is Friday night here and the traffic is worse than ever.

Angela and I went to the Children's Hospital today so I could take pictures for Sophie. This is where she was abandoned. I don't know any specifics other than she had already had her intestinal surgery and her scars were healed at the time she was left at the hospital at 9 months old. The orphanage said that she was very weak the first year she was there. I have ran several scenarios through my mind as to what might have happened but I really have no clue. Maybe she wasn't eating very well, maybe she cried alot with gas pains, maybe the parents thought she needed more surgery and they could not afford it. I don't know but I do know they cared enough to bring her back to the hospital so she would receive the proper medical attention. I can only imagine how hard it was for her mother to leave her after caring for her for 9 months. The 4th floor wing where she was when the authorities were notified to come and get her was filled with people in the hallway. People most likely from the county side that can not afford a place to stay. The hallway smelled horrible and the people looked so tired and sad. We were not allowed to walk down where the patient's room were because it was not visiting hours. Angela assured me that the rooms were sterile and clean. I would not want to take my child here for medical attention. I was very sad that I even went inside. We are a blessed country and have so much to be thankful for.

We leave in the morning flying to Guangzhou. I can't wait to meet up with the "Super 6" formally known as the "Fab 5" we have picked up a family a long the way!!!! So long Tianjin, the birth place of my daughter.

7 comments:

Nicole said...

These places you have been visiting are hard to see, but so important for Sophie. She will appreciate them so much later on, I'm sure. You'll LOVE Guangzhou!
Gracie is excited to meet Sophie at the airport on the 11th. That is Gracie's Gotcha Day anniversary-3 glorious years! Time sure flies!

kdavis said...

Wow, I can not keep up with you guys! I have not commented on what I read this morning! I did log on but this was the first time Laura had been up while I was looking around and she sat there and looked at all the pictures so I didn't have time to write. She asks that you tell Sophie that she is soooooooooo cute and she can not wait to play with her. My first thought this morning was how ironic it was that we ate spaghetti a few hours after Sophie did. One day I will tell her how much she and I have in common. I love spaghetti and I also surround myself with dum dums! Sorry for the bad teacher joke! Things are looking good for both you little ones and I am so happy for all of you! I hope she traveled well today. Love!

Kristi said...

We will pray for your plane trip and for Sophie as you head to Ghangzhou. You guys will be another step closer to home. It is bitter sweet leaving your daughter's province. You have done a terrific job documenting pictures and what info. you have for Sophie to hold on to one day. We were not able to do so well as our group was not allowed to visit Anna's orphanage. They said it was too far away. We have wondered if that was the true reason. Our prayer is that Sophie will see God's hand upon her life in spite of all the hard things she endured as a baby. The POP looked amazing considering photos we have seen of so many orphanages.

andi said...

Sherrie-
I am so thankful that all went better today...

Red Hen said...

Sherrie,

You don't know me, but this time last year I was in your shoes. (We are with the same agency, too...) My daughter, also 3 when we adopted her, disliked me very much. I know how much this hurts. Actually we've adopted twice, and this has happened both times.

If you'd like to email me at preachers_wife37@yahoo.com I'll be happy to share some of what helped us... Our agency was a blessing, but I learned things on my own that I'll be happy to share.

In the meantime, know that you, Sophie and your entire family are being prayed for here.

Tonja said...

I'm thinking of you all and saying prayers for you today!

Nai Nai said...

Good Morning and have a safe flight. You are seeing a light at the end of the tunnel and you will be home before you know it. Watching Sophie this morning with Ricky was soooo funny, although Justin looked a little down that he is 2nd in line now, just think you will be next. I can see from skypeing your little Sophie is coming around very quickly, I know it doesn't feel like it to you guys being shut up in the room for days, but she has come a long way since Sunday Night. Love you and Skpe me when you get settled in.