Sunday, September 7, 2008

Guangzhou and the Red Couch





Hi everyone!! Sorry I have not posted. We have been busy visiting with our American friends and shopping here in Guangzhou. The plane ride was a horrible experience. It started off really well. Sophie Nuan fell asleep before we took off but when she woke up she was very mad. Everyone was looking at us and the stewards were trying to help calm her down and then other Chinese women were trying to talk to her and she would just get madder and madder. There is no telling what she was telling them. She was so mad that she would not come back to her seat unless I moved. So I had to move to another section to sit. Now what in the world do you think all of those Chinese people thinking. We were the only Americans on the flight with a Chinese baby. It was horrible. I now now how it feels to be a minority and humiliated. She did calm down after I found another seat but then she started screaming again when it was time to buckle up and land the plane. I was so glad to be off that plane. I am dreading the 16 hour flight on Thursday. Let's hope the Benadryl works!!!!

Here are some pictures from the red couch. As you can see none of the babies were too thrilled to be doing this. I hope to take her back when it is just us and take some better pictures. We leave for our medical appointment tomorrow at 7:45 am. This will be another horrible experience I am sure. We are all so ready to get home. We have a long way to go before Sophie Nuan trust us more completely. I am hoping that being home will help us all to be more relaxed.

5 comments:

samantha said...

Sounds like a tough day. Count down those days until you can get yourself home and be in your own environment. I know you all are emotionally and physically exhausted! I will pray for a better plane ride home. Hang in there...don't forget how much you love each other. I know it is a stressfull time but take the time to love each other even if it is small.(quick hug and kiss) You will need this. I'm ready for you to get home too.

Kristi said...

So sorry your plane trip was so difficult! Oh the stories you will tell Princess Sophie when she is older! Hopefully the ride home will be 100% better! This is such a trying time for everyone. The stress of being away from home and bouncing from strange place to place, making do with limits of a hotel room and foreign airports. Throw in that you are traveling with a child who has endured trauma and probably has rarely been outside of their orphanage! It is a long trip and yes things will calm down when you settle into your new place then finally home! We were so glad to finally get a good breakfast at the White Swan! Hope this makes you smile. We look back and laugh. Anna's passport photo is of her really crying. How fitting that every airport we pulled it out to show through customs....Anna was really crying and actually matched her passport photo exactly. Good changes are on the way and we hope you guys get in more good shopping in Guangzhou. Love Sophie's Mandarin outfit. Not to worry, the red couch has seen many a tearful photo shoot! Our prayers remain with you all. Your blog is the first thing I check in the morning and the last thing I read before going to bed! You guys have so many praying you through these last days of being on the other side of the world!

Nai Nai said...

So sorry! It is only a few days now and you will be home and things will be better. Just remember she is exhausted as you guys, youare all dealing with things outside your comfort zone. Love the pictures and hang in there.

kdavis said...

Good evening! I am so sorry for the plane ride experience. I pray that the next few days go well, but quickly. Sophie is so beautiful in her traditional dress and I see she has her baby doll with her. She is keeping that with her at all times, isn't she? That is good, and it shows that you knew her before you met her. You chose that doll to be her first one. We love you so much! Laura is getting out of bed to see the new pictures.

2China4Ayla said...

When you are able to look back at this with a grin let me know and I will share our 6 hour train ride from hell with you. :o) Which by the way I can look back and laugh about now. The kisses are big. Count those tiny baby steps because they may seem tiny to others but they are really big progress.