Saturday, August 30, 2008

Great Wall and Summer Palace






First of all I want to say thanks to all my friends who have taken the time and effort to sign up with blogger so that you can send comments. I love to read them...it makes me feel connected to home and to my friends who are already bloggers I love your comments to. You can never know how much it means to be 8000 miles away and be able to read your precious comments. I am so blessed!!!

Okay as you can tell from the pictures it is cloudy and rainy here today. Not a good hair day at all!!! Yesterday was Hot, Humid and Sticky!!!! Today is much cooler and wet!!! We went to a Jade factory and a pearl factory today as well as the Great Wall and Summer Palace. These guides really know how to pack it in. Our guides name is "Joe" not his real name...isn't that funny that they think they need American names to help us be able to remember their names better.

The Great Wall was an experience. Mighty Justin climbed all 3000 steps to the top as far as you were able to go. Ricky didn't make it all the way and I made about 200 steps...LOL!!!!!! Y'all this wall was not designed by an architect. The steps ranged in height from as little as 6 inches to over 12 inches (just an estimate) So when you step up you never step the same plus it goes straight up in most places. I marched myself right back down in the rain, met some more Americans that are adopting and enjoyed some regular English conversation. This was Justin's big event and he is so proud that he was able to make it!!!

The Summer Palace was beautiful. The water lilies that you see are huge. They are called Lotus. The SP is where the Emperors went on vacation...this was not for the public to enjoy.

We drove by the Bird's nest and Water Cube today. We wanted to get closer but our guide said no one is allowed near there because they are getting ready for the Special Olympics.

The people here are so laid back. They ride their bikes in and out of traffic like it is no big deal. I just know that we were going to run over somebody any minute. No one gets upset. The vehicles just push through the traffic, beep their horns and stop within inches of each other. If you want to change lanes around here you just do it. It is really crazy I don't know how to explain it.

We ate authentic Chinese food again today and all of our stomachs are just a little upset and confused!!!! We leave tomorrow, Sunday, by train to Tianjin. We pick Sophie up on Monday. Please pray that she won't be sad and that she will feel safe and secure with us.

9 comments:

samantha said...

Go Justin Go Justin!!!! Of course you took on the greal wall of China...I wouldn't expect anything less. Exciting stuff. Guess what? I figured out how to get to your other pictures too! Yeah. Mr. Ricky...any modeling in your future? I've noticed you stiking the "pose" in the pictures. Keep having fun...the time is drawing near. Guess who "Bama" plays tonight? Clemson. Yuck. Might not be so good of a night. Love ya and chat with you soon. Happy Eating?

Troy and Sarah said...

Hi Sherrie, Ricky, & Justin,

I thought I would leave a comment to let you know that we are following you on your journey to Sophie. I have butterflies in my stomach just thinking about you meeting Sophie for the first time! It brings back all kinds of memories for me. I love to think back to our first month with Rachel and how much she has changed in the past 8 months. It’s hard to believe that she has only been in our family for 8 months…it’s hard to remember what our life was like without her. She adds so much to our family, just as Sophie will add to yours.

Keeping you all in our prayers,

Sarah & Troy Flenar

Nai Nai said...

Go Justin!!!!
Love Ricky's yellow dress. Yall keep having fun and get some rest. I let Josh play a little and then got him KFC before taking him back. He is doing great, I thought he might cry after talking to yall but he did fine. Love and miss you. Can't wait to see Sophie.

Denise said...

Oh, the Summer Palace was one of my favorite place. It snowed the day we went to the Great Wall, so I didn't go very far at all.

Can't wait to see you with your little girl...praying for her little heart to be ready for all of the love~

(Kate's friend)

Michelle said...

Thank you for sharing the pictures and this journey with us. I talked to the kids last night and Amy and Emma was teaching Josh some dance moves. I could hear him laughing in the background. He has had a great time. We are really enjoying him in the house. Can't believe when you wake up tommorrow you will finally make that trip to Tianjin. Our prayers continue to be with you and Sophie. Love you!

Melanie said...

I got goose bumps looking at the pictures. It is great to see how God answers prayers and ya'll are finally in China! I'll keep praying for you and that the transition will be easy for all of you.

Deandra said...

WAY GO, JUSTIN!!! I never expected anything less from you climbing The Great WAll. As Sterling says, you are a beast at sports. I know all are having fun. Sherri, still tears and goosebumps everytime I read your postings. We are all so anxious to see pictures and hear about you holding Sophie for the first time. Please get pictures, pictures, and more pictures. love you all. You all are covered in prayer by so many.

Tonja said...

Sherrie, my heart is so full. I want to cry and I want to shout! God is pouring His blessings on you while you are away on The Big Adventure! I am anxiously awaiting the pics of Sweet Sophie!
Way to go Justin! Now remember to write down your experiences everyday! Sherrie, I had a thought, maybe you can find a CD of Children's songs sung in Chinese while you are there. We could play it in music for the children to hear Sophie's music. I know I could not find one here, the people at the orphanage may can help you. And, too, it would be nice for Sophie in years to come to be able to listen to songs she sang while she lived there.
Enjoy everything...Do everything you can and take pictures of everything you do. Can you get e-mail? I'm sending one. Let me know if you don't get it.
Talk to you soon
Tonja

Nicole said...

Good job, Justin! That wall kicked my butt! I am so excited for Monday! I have to stop myself from checking your blog too many times a day! Enjoy your last few hours as a family of four! Soon you will be complete!